Monday 13 March 2017

Changes in my Teaching Practice

Changes in my  Teaching Practice
Activity 8
Image result for changes in my teaching practice quotes


I have embraced teaching as my career in nineties. It has been an amazing journey since then. I was raised by doting parents and a stable schooling and had magnificent teachers during my own primary, secondary and tertiary education. My parents set the pathway of lifelong learning, which was instilled in me with great ease. I guess this paved way for me to embrace teaching as a profession, which has satisfied my inner urge and tryst for knowledge.
Just after completion of B.Sc, B.Ed I have started with Year one as a beginning teacher, I leapt and learnt went an extra mile with my enthusiasm and catered to all 45 learners within my class. My relationships with them were professional strong and fair disciplinarian. Later I moved to Year 4 and later moved to high school. I was a very satisfied teacher with regard to relationships and achievements of my learners at every stage. The society has set norms and expectations hence there were no behavioural issues and disruptions in class. All students were catered to and given extra support if needed. Parents could call in and send notes of concerns and issues regarding their children. Communication was open. Teacher were given undue respect and authority, which has to be consciously exercised with fairness, and transparent measures. Assessments were more of grading and invited competition. Moral study was compulsory to in still values into youngsters and were well integrated into all core curricular areas especially languages.
Gradually I upskilled myself to M.A in Literature and M.Ed  which also enabled me to pursue high school children as  I felt it was more rewarding teaching teenagers and catering to a higher standards of curriculum. The down side of it I had to tailor my teaching to one subject and one language following the British norms established in India, which was somewhat similar in New Zealand.
On migration to New Zealand, I undertook volunteer work in the schools that my children attended and also retrained myself to equip with the skills and knowledge of teaching to cater to the western world. The world also simultaneously went through a significant change in educational philosophies and practices with the invention of Internet and various digital platforms. I had to embark on the journey to equip myself to be able to cater to the modern generation of learners where learning is more personalised and individual educational plans and goals need to be co constructed and achieved. In the modern era of education Values are chosen and worked but there seems to be no cohesion of practice around it amongst teachers and the society on the whole has been experienced diminished values and respect for each other, name calling, stereotypes, being judgemental etc.
The modern digital era brings in scope for project-based learning  (Sarah Maughan, 2012), where the disciplines can cross credit and coordinate the learning to propel in the favour and accentuating learning by the learner.
 In short the panoramic view of teaching has undergone a tumultuous changes within these three decades. I started my career with no internet and currently teaching in a digital classroom where all work is done, compiled and shared on digital tools. Videos, interviews, chat and text forums have become the norm where learners aren’t shy anymore, it gives them participation, ownership and enjoyment of owning their learning. The personalised learning I reckon in currently in a transition stage, once it starts to blossom then we will be able reap the benefits of this personalised learning. Learners will be more selective and accountable of their choices. Change is the norm of human life and being adaptable and accommodative of change in order to prepare for the future. Catering to students diversity through differentiation (UNESCO, 2004) has gained more relevance and  is more accommodative  of curriculum to suit the needs of the pupils at large.
The transition from no internet to total internet based digital learning with a wide audience and global citizenship has created a wide spectrum of change in my own practice.

References:
References
Sarah Maughan, D. T. (2012, July). What leads to positive change. Retrieved from The NFER Research Programme: https://www.nfer.ac.uk/publications/RCTL01/RCTL01.pdf
UNESCO. (2004). Changing Teaching Practices-using curriculum differentiation to respond to students' diversity. Retrieved from http://unesdoc.unesco.org/images/0013/001365/136583e.pdf: http://unesdoc.unesco.org/images/0013/001365/136583e.pdf



No comments:

Post a Comment

Combating Wastage in Education and Enhancing Accountability

  Combating Wastage in Education and Enhancing Accountability Introduction: Education is a fundamental pillar of society, and its effective ...